What are Glyphs?
Glyphs are items which an individual applies to improve certain spells. Each glyph enhances an existing class spell, for example, by improving range or damage.
Inscribers can create glyphs for all classes. Once created, these glyphs can be traded or mailed to others. You do not need to be an Inscriber to use glyphs: Only to make them.
Each glyph can only be used by members of one class. Some glyphs also require the user to have reached a certain personal ((character)) level. Since the Cataclysm, glyphs are learned when used, then known forever. Fresh glyphs will not need to be repurchased when changed.
A previously applied glyph can be swapped for another known glyph. Each swap requires a reagent:
- Vanishing Powder for those at level 80 or below.
- Dust of Disappearance for levels 81-85.
- Tome of the Clear Mind at level 86 or above.
These reagents can be made by Scribes or purchased from Inscription Suppliers.
There are 2 types of glyphs:
- Major - Makes a major change to one of your class's spells or abilitiies.
- Minor - Convenience, fun or cosmetic changes.
Individuals have up to 3 Major and 3 Minor glyphs active, depending on their level. The lowest level glyphs can be used is 25. Individuals with dual talent specs (2 sets of Talents) gain 2 sets of glyph slots, one for each talent spec.
How to Use Glyphs
All glyphs are used in the same way:
- Create or trade a glyph, so that you have at least 1 in your inventory. The glyph must be usable by your class/level.
- Open your Talents from the icon on the main toolbar, and select the Glyphs tab. If dual-spec'ed, select the set of Talents you wish to apply glyphs to. The Glyphs tab screen will only be visible if you are level 25 or above.
- On the left side is a list of all available glyphs, grouped by Major and Minor. Glyphs you have not yet learned are greyed out, and cannot be applied. The centre of the page contains a circle for each glyph slot.
- To apply a glyph, simply click on left-hand listing, then click on one of the empty circles on the glyphs tab. Select either a Major or Minor circle, depending on the type of glyph you are applying. The applied glyph will remain active until you decide to replace or remove it.
- To remove or replace a glyph, you must have the appropriate reagent in your inventory: Vanishing Powder for those level 80 or below, Dust of Disappearance for levels 81-85, or Tome of the Clear Mind above level 85. Each glyph removal costs 1 reagent. Removed glyphs are no longer actively applied. However, you can apply the glyph again in the future, without relearning it.
- Glyphs can be added, replaced, or removed by an individual, with only 1 known limitation: All slots (on the same talent set) must contain a unique Glyph: You cannot apply 2 or 3 glyphs with the same name at the same time, to the same talent spec.